How to Prevent and Detect Malnutrition in Seniors
Malnutrition is a serious health issue among the senior population. To live a quality life, seniors need to stay healthy. If you are caring for an elderly loved one, you should be aware of the warning signs of malnutrition and how to prevent them.
At Bayou Home Care , our team of certified nursing assistants in Morgan City, Louisiana has compiled a list of factors contributing to malnutrition and some prevention tips.
Common causes of malnutrition
Here are some of the physical, social, and psychological issues that may cause malnutrition in seniors:
- Medications that affect the body’s ability to absorb nutrients
- Normal age-related changes in taste, smell, and appetite
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing food due to an illness or injury
If your senior loved one is at risk of malnutrition, there are steps you can take to ensure they’re eating well. These include…
- Prepare healthy foods and snacks
- Flavor foods with fresh herbs and spices, avoiding using salt
- Encourage them to exercise every day or get home health therapy to help stimulate appetite and promote strong bones and muscles
- Plan family gatherings or activities centering around meals and exercise
Do you need help caring for your senior loved one? If so, you can get in touch with our home health nursing in Houma, Louisiana.